Excavations at the Historic Alameda-Stone Cemetery in Downtown Tucson – Roger Anyon

Dec ’11
7:30 pm


A Cienega-phase (Late Archaic) pit house was discovered in the project area, under the Stone Avenue sidewalk south of Council Street. The pit house extended west under Stone Avenue itself, beyond the western limit of the project area. The rectangular hole visible in the center of the pit house was probably excavated in the first half of the twentieth century to hold a street lamp post.

In 2006, Pima County initiated one of the largest and most complex archaeological projects ever undertaken in Arizona, involving the complete excavation of nearly an entire civilian and military cemetery. Because the entire parcel was planned to be developed in to a Joint City-County Courts Complex, state law required the complete recoverey and removal of burials from the site and their repatriation to descendant groups. The excavation resulted in the recovery of nearly 1,400 individuals buried during Tucson’s Territorial Period from the 1850’s to 1880’s, together with more than 700 archaeological features dating to the post-cemetery and prehistoric periods.


Posted in:Events, Lectures, News